Afternoon walk in Alfama

What can be a better afternoon program after an exhausting surfing lesson, then a little walking tour in the hills of Alfama? 


Alfama is one of the many beautiful quartiers of Lisbon, full of the famous Azulejo tiles, and beautiful viewpoints of the city. Alfama has a peaceful environment without its streets being too crowded. 

The only disadvantage of this area is, that it is very hilly, so I do not recommend doing this trip with sore muscles like I did. Although I have a tip which can make things easier for you, if you don't like walking up and down the hills. 

I don't know if Portuguese people are very clever, or very lazy but there are 2 elevators in this area, which makes it easier to walk around Alfama. 

Firstly you have to go to Baixa- Chiado metro station, and walk straight to Elevador Castelo, and after getting to the top floor, look for a Pingo Doce supermarket, and take the elevator there as well. Don't worry about finding the right Pingo Doce, you can't miss it! 
After getting out the elevator, you will find yourself at a beautiful view of the city, and you already feel like it can't get any better. Trust me it will! :) 



Our plan was to visit the other main attraction of the area, the Castelo de S. Jorge, but we realised that it is so big, it would require a half day for the visit. 
So we just wondered around the pretty streets of Alfama while stopping at almost every souvenir shop until we arrived to Miradouro da Graca. Arriving to this famous viewpoint was not timed at all, but we got there at the most perfect time, at sunset. The place was a little too crowded for my taste, but it was still one of the most beautiful sunsets I ever seen. 



On this walking tour I find my mission for collecting all the different tiles in Lisbon, and looking at as many sunsets or sunrises as I possibly can!  

Comments