Cabo de Roca

Cabo de Roca is the westernmost part of Europe. 

When we started our journey we just knew that there are some pretty beaches and a lighthouse at this westen point. We only realised later that foundation stone of our friendship was also located in this place.
From Lisbon you have to take a train to Sintra, and then take a bus to Cabo de Roca. Our best friend, the metropolitan area pass comes handy here too, since the whole journey is included in the card! ( We still can't believe it to this day how amazing it is)
The journey itself to Cabo de Roca is already worth it because you can see the beautiful natural urban areas of Portugal.

As I was going here, I didn’t have big expectations, but i have a general love for lighthouses and also beautiful beaches so the moment we arrived i busted out of the bus and run to see what waited for me here.


The magic of the place is, that the more you go, the better the view is, the more amazed you are, the more eager you feel to explore more and more. After taking in the unlimited horizon, we decided to search for a way to get down to the beach. Our first attempt didn’t get us where we wanted, but definitely showed us some more breath-taking views.

Our final way to the shore were so difficult, I didn’t even believe for my future self if she told me that i will do that journey. Iva and I were hesitant to go until the last moments of the climb. We didn’t have the clothes, the shoes or the experience to do “the impossible”.

Fortunately we had each other, and the unstoppable courage to do it anyway!


Halfway of the climb there was a rope poled to the ground, because the terrain were so steep, you couldn’t manage otherwise. When we got to the 2/3 of the rope, we realised the following parts are not even secured to the ground, but we were too far to back down.
 



Getting down to the beach we didn’t believe to our eyes.
How could this be possible? When I looked at the place from above, it looked pretty but I had no idea how pretty it really was!




This lesson thought me that I have to be courageous, and go for things I want to achieve because i can do the "impossible"!
The way back actually was much easier, and we even managed to catch the sunset here. 

I will be forever grateful for this experience, because it formed us to be true friends with Iva.



(15th September)


Comments