Changed my Yellow submarine to a Yellow tram

Since I got to Lisbon, I haven't got a lot of  free days, or free afternoons. But last tuesday was a light day, without plans. My roommate and I decided to go for a little walk around the city, we smashed open the Lisbon tourist guide book, and looked for some options to get to know the city better. 


The first place, which I discovered in Lisbon, even before coming here was the Marques de Pombal. It's not really in the city centre, but it collects a lot of main roads, and makes a distinguishable appearance in the city textile. North of the roundabout there is a park called Eduardo the II. , and I have been interested in this since, I noticed it. 
The park has a vast expanse, and it really reminded me of the English parks I used to visit in Liverpool. The park has a pleasant atmosphere, but there is no thematic differentiation. It is the perfect place to gain some quiet time in Lisbon, or walk your dog in a green area. 


After the quiet shadows of the park we took our direction to the busy city centre, with the intention to ride the famous yellow tram of Lisbon.


When I learned from my mom, that the best way to explore a city is to take a bus, and just go from one terminal to the other. The oldest yellow tram, the 28E gives a perfect opportunity for this. While we were sitting on the tram, we felt like the typical tourists, and took pictures of the inside, and the trams which were coming on the parallel direction. When we took off at the Basílica da Estrela we realised we wanted to go to the oldest book store in Lisbon.


 The easiest way to get there was the yellow tram again. This gave us an ironic feeling, because 10 minutes ago we felt like tourists on the tram and now we are one of the "lisboetans", taking the tram just for usual transport. I think this describes perfectly the Erasmus experience, when you are invited by a city for half a year and sometimes you feel like it's your own home, and sometimes you feel like you are just on a vacation here. 


Comments